The original 3,020 cherry trees that make the festival so famous were a gift from the People of Japan to the People of the United States in 1912. In 1965, the Japanese government donated an additional 3,800 trees, and another 676 trees were funded by private donations in 1982 to replace trees that had died. Since then, the National Arboretum had been taking cuttings of the trees to preserve their genetic lineage. A full history of the cherry trees can be found here on the National Park Service Web site.
|The White House and Washington Monument lined with blooming cherry trees|
|At the Washington Monument|